Professor in Planetary Science at the Space and Atmospheric Physics Group
Member of the Imperial Space Lab
Ph.D., Université de Grenoble, France (1996)
Email: m.galand at imperial.ac.uk
* PUBLICATIONS *
* INAUGURAL (2022):
Aurora in the Solar System: What they can teach us
- Current PG Students:
Zoë Lewis (PhD, Y3)
- Graduated PG Students:
Alex Cushen (MSc with Extended Res., 2023)
- Current Research Associate:
Arnaud Beth (Imperial College London, UK)
- Past Research Associates:
Erik Vigren (Swedish Institute of Space Physics (IRF), Sweden)
Susarla Raghuram (Physical Research Lab, National Research Institute, India)
Licia Ray (Lancaster University, UK)
Jun Cui (University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), Beijing, China)
Award and Prize:
- James Dungey Lecture, Royal Astronomical Society (RAS), 2023.
- Faculty of Natural Sciences Prize for Excellence in Personal Tutoring & Pastoral Support, Imperial College London, 2019.
- Holweck IoP-SFP Medal & Prize, Institute of Physics / Société Française de Physique, 2018.
- Shortlisted for Best Tutoring, Imperial College Student Academic Choice Award (SACA), 2018.
- Shortlisted for Best Teaching for Undergraduates, Imperial College Student Academic Choice Award (SACA), 2017.
- Faculty of Natural Sciences Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Imperial College London, 2015.
- Elsie Widdowson Fellowship award, Imperial College London, 2008-2009.
- Zeldovich Medal, Committee on Space Research (COSPAR), 2006.
- Research Associateship Award, National Research Council (NRC), 1998-2000.
- Advanced Study Program Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), 1996-1998.Key Teaching/Administrative Activity:
- Lecturer, Magnetism (Year 1) [2022-present]
- Lecturer, Space Physics (Year 4) [2018-2022]
- Lecturer, Vector Calculus (Year 1) [2014-2018]
- Academic Coordinator, Physics Exchange Programme [2011-2014]
- Lecturer, Atmospheric Physics (Year 4) [2009-2013]
Involvement in Space Missions:
- Unit Co-PI for the Dust Field Plasma (DFP) /Magnetometer on B2, ESA/Comet Interceptor.
- Coordinator for RPC Enhanced Archiving Activities, ESA/Rosetta.
- Associate Scientist, Rosetta Orbiter Spectrometer for Ion and Neutral Analysis (Rosina), ESA/Rosetta
- Science Co-I , ESA/Ariel.
- Supporting Investigator, ESA/Venus Express.
Selection: Community experience
- Core team member, White paper on “Ambition: Comet Nucleus Cryogenic Sample Return” (Bockelée-Morvan et al. 2019), Voyage 2050 long-term plan in the ESA Science Programme.
- Core team member, White paper on “Cometary Plasma Science - A White Paper in response to the Voyage 2050 Call by the European Space Agency” (Goetz et al. 2019), Voyage 2050 long-term plan in the ESA Science Programme.
- Core team member, White paper on “Science goals and mission concepts for a future orbital and in situ exploration of Titan” (Rodriguez et al. 2019), Voyage 2050 long-term plan in the ESA Science Programme.
- Organiser, “Cometary science with Rosetta: Striking, timely, and more to come!”, Royal Astronomical Society Specialist Discussion Meeting, December 2019.
- Member, Astronomy Grant Panel (AGP), Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), 2018-.
- Leader, International Space Science Institute (ISSI) International Team on the “Plasma Environment of comet 67P after Rosetta”, 2017-2018.
- Member, Development Board, Magistère de Physique Fondamentale d’Orsay, Université Paris-Saclay, France, 2015-.
- President, Scientific Committee, Laboratoire d’Excellence (LabEx) “Plas@Par”, Paris, France, 2014 to 2016.
Selection: Outreach Activities
- Lead, Chasing a new comet, Imperial Lates: Space, Imperial College London, London, UK, Dec 2023.
- Speaker, Ganymede, the largest moon of Jupiter and Comet Interceptor: The mission, Open days, Imperial College London, April and June 2023.
- Lead, Ganymede, the main target of JUICE, Colle\'ge Omeba Tobo and Coll\'ege Henri Agarande , Kourou, French Guiana, April 2023.
- Lead, Encounter with a comet, Imperial Lates: Look up, Imperial College London, London, UK, Dec 2022.
- Contributor, Comet Interceptor Mission article in All About Space magazine, Aug 2019 issue.
- Participant, "A comet revealed", Royal Society Summer Exhibition, London, UK, July 2016.
- Lead, Exhibit on “Sniffing the building blocks of the Solar System with Rosetta”, Imperial Fringe, Imperial College London, London, UK, December 2014.
- Participant, "Catch A Comet", Royal Society Summer Exhibition, London, UK, July 2014.
- Leader, Exhibit on “Dirty snowball or the origin of life?”, Imperial Fringe: Fluid thinking, Imperial College London, London, UK, December 2013.
- Co-I, Royal Society Summer Exhibit on "Ice Worlds", London, UK, July 2013.
Making a comet, Sept 2017
At the 2013 Royal Society Summer Exhibit "Ice Worlds"
For further information or comments on this website, please write me at: m.galand at imperial.ac.uk