Member of the Imperial Space Lab
Imperial College homepage: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/people/m.galand
Email: m.galand at imperial.ac.uk
Ph.D., Université de Grenoble, France (1996)
- Recent/current PG Students:
Joshua Chadney (PhD, 2015)
Luc Sagnières (MSc with extended research, 2014)
- Current Research Associate:
- Past Research Associates:
Jun Cui (Chinese Academy of Sciences, China),
Licia Ray (Lancaster University, UK),
Susarla Raghuram (NIT, India)
Erik Vigren (IRF/Uppsala, Sweden)
Award and Prize:
- Holweck IoP-SFP Medal & Prize, Institute of Physics / Société Française de Physique, 2018.
- Shortlisted for Best Teaching for Undergraduates, Imperial College Student Academic Choice Award (SACA), 2017.
- Faculty of Natural Sciences Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Imperial College London, 2015.
- Elsie Widdowson Fellowship award, Imperial College London, 2008-2009.
- Zeldovich Medal, Committee on Space Research (COSPAR), 2006.
- Research Associateship Award, National Research Council (NRC), 1998-2000.
- Advanced Study Program Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), 1996-1998.
Selection: Invited Lectures & Keynotes
- Invited Speaker, Rosetta: Why are we chasing a comet?, Imperial SpaceLab Conference 2014, London, UK, September 25, 2014.
- Lecturer, 2014 STFC Introductory Solar System Plasmas Summer School, London, UK, September 14-19, 2014.
- Lecturer, 2013 Heliophysics Summer School “Heliophysics of the Planetary System”, Boulder, USA, July 12-19, 2013.
- Lecturer, Astrobiology Summer School “Molecules in Space”, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden, June 25-July 2, 2013.
Key Teaching/Administrative Activity:
- Lecturer, Vector Calculus (Year 1) [2014-present]
- Academic Coordinator, Physics Exchange Programme [2011-2014]
- Lecturer, Atmospheric Physics (Year 4) [2009-2013]
Instrument Involvement in Space Missions:
- Associate Scientist, Rosetta Orbiter Spectrometer for Ion and Neutral Analysis (Rosina), ESA/Rosetta
- Supporting Investigator, ESA/Venus Express.
Selection: Community experience
- President, Scientific Committee, Laboratoire d’Excellence (LabEx) “Plas@Par”, Paris, France, 2014 to 2016.
- Member, Scientific Programme Committee, 6th Alfvén conference: Plasma interaction with Solar System objects: Anticipating Rosetta, Maven, and Mars Orbiter Mission, London, UK, 7-11 July 2014.
- Member, Strategic Advisory Board (SAB) of EU/FP7 Europlanet (EPN) Research Infrastructure (RI), 2010-2012.
Selection: Outreach Activities
- Participant, "A comet revealed", Royal Society Summer Exhibition, London, UK, July 2016.
- Leader, Exhibit on “Sniffing the building blocks of the Solar System with Rosetta”, Imperial Fringe, Imperial College London, London, UK, December 2014.
- Participant, "Catch A Comet", Royal Society Summer Exhibition, London, UK, July 2014.
- Leader, Exhibit on “Dirty snowball or the origin of life?”, Imperial Fringe: Fluid thinking, Imperial College London, London, UK, December 2013.
- Co-I, Royal Society Summer Exhibit on "Ice Worlds", London, UK, July 2013.
Making a comet, Sept 2017
At the 2013 Royal Society Summer Exhibit "Ice Worlds"
For further information or comments on this website, please write me at: m.galand at imperial.ac.uk