Member of the Imperial Space Lab.
Imperial College homepage: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/people/m.galand
Email: m.galand at imperial.ac.uk
Ph.D., Université de Grenoble, France (1996)
- Current Postgraduate Students:
Joshua Chadney (Year 3 PhD), Luc Sagnières (MSc)
- Current Research Associate::
- Past Research Associates:
Erik Vigren (IRF/Uppsala)
Rosetta. Credit: ESA, image by AOES Medialab
Instrument involvement in space missions:
- Associate Scientist, Rosetta Orbiter Spectrometer for Ion and Neutral Analysis (Rosina), ESA/Rosetta
- Supporting Investigator, ESA/Venus Express.
Selection of recent outreach activities:
- Participant, "Catch A Comet", Royal Society Summer Exhibit, London, UK, July 2014.
- Lead, Exhibit on “Dirty snowball or the origin of life?”, Imperial Fringe: Fluid thinking, Imperial College, London, UK, December 2013.
- Co-I, Royal Society Summer Exhibit on "Ice Worlds", London, UK, July 2013.
Recent invited lectures:
- Lecturer, 2013 Heliophysics Summer School “Heliophysics of the Planetary System”, Boulder, USA, July 12-19, 2013.
- Lecturer, Astrobiology Summer School “Molecules in Space”, Onsala Space Observatory, Sweden, June 25-July 2, 2013.
- Galand, M., Tutorial: Atmosphere-Ionosphere-Magnetosphere Coupling, Plenary lecture, Magnetospheres of the Giant Planets (MOP), Boston, USA, July 11-15, 2011.
Selection of recent community experience:
- President, Scientific Committee, Laboratoire d’Excellence (LabEx) “Plas@Par”, Paris, France, 2014 to present.
- Member, Scientific Programme Committee, 6th Alfvén conference: Plasma interaction with Solar System objects: Anticipating Rosetta, Maven, and Mars Orbiter Mission, London, UK, 7-11 July 2014.
- Member, Strategic Advisory Board (SAB) of EU/FP7 Europlanet (EPN) Research Infrastructure (RI), 2010-2012.
- Co-organiser, Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) Discussion meeting on “5 years of Venus Express and a look to the future”.
- Coordinator, UV instrument, ESA / Europa Jupiter System Mission, 2008-2012.
- Co-convener, IHY Chapman conference "Universal Heliophysical Processes", 2008.
At the 2013 Royal Society Summer Exhibit "Ice Worlds"
At the Fluid Thinking, Imperial Fringe, Dec 2013.
For further information or comments on this website, please write me at: m.galand at imperial.ac.uk